Thursday, September 3, 2020

Out and About #3


Monday, I was promoted to Past-President of Pratt. To celebrate, yesterday Ann and I got out of the house for the third time since end of February and headed to Mt Rainier.  Perfect day-- mid-60's, bright sun, gentle breeze.  It was a bit of a test for me to see how well I could still hike what with long lay-off and a hernia awaiting surgery in October.  We chose one of our favorite (and easier) hikes: Sheep Lake and Sourdough Gap.  Trailhead is above Chinook Pass on the Northeast corner of the National Park. 

Sheep Lake
Sheep Lake


That's how I usually see my younger hiking partner, eating her dust in anti-social distancing. 





We paused for a breather, though it's pretty flat to here.






From Sheep, a mile up to Sourdough Gap, a 15% grade.  That's Mt Adams on the horizon, Sheep Lake below. About half-way up.

Sourdough Gap is @ 6,414'; trailhead a bit over 5,300'.

On the Gap, Ann wanted me to stop, but we went on for one can't see Rainier from here and I wanted again to get out to one of our favorite lunch spots in the Park.  Haven't done this hike in five years or so.

Through the Gap and down into a scree field and junction with Pacific Crest Trail.








Then through a saddle and down into the National Park and my old friend; looking a bit scruffy with lots of dust accumulating on her flanks, awaiting a new coat of snow.


Made it!  Mother hen-ing Ann proud of her old rooster.   (And made it down, too.)





No comments:

Post a Comment